Have torn meniscus, shooting sensation from knee to lower leg, no swelling and redness. Suggest?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
L leg lower aspect from knee tugging shooting sensation ....intermittent... does esp whe walking down stairs
I worry it's vascular... or can it be neuro symptom. My L meniscus is entensively torn.
No swelling redness last steroid shot for knee was FEB/13 activity does not worsen no tenderness to touch started 2 wks ago
Posted Mon, 16 Sep 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Due to torn meniscus friction of bone lead to pain

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing to us;

I have studied your case with diligence.

As per your age and history of torn meniscus, severe pain can be aggravated walking downstairs due to friction between thigh bone and leg bone.
Ligament instability causes pain on walking downstairs, I will advise to start physiotherapy to knee, quadriceps strengthening execises.Yes you can repeat steroid shot to knee now. Knee support like hinged knee brace will help to reduce pain.

I would like to ask some questions to help you better; do you have tingling numbness in your leg? No pain on walking upstairs? Are you having diabetes?

Another possibility of nerve compression in spine leading to radicular pain in your leg. This can be confirmed by spine X-ray and MRI spine.
Vascular origin of pain is less likely as it will remain same on walking on ground or stairs. It can be ruled out by doing Doppler study.

I hope that I have answered your query. Let me know if I can help you further.