Ask a Dentist   »  

Have tooth ache while chewing and pain in wisdom teeth. Suggest the medication?

Hi , My Tooths aches while chewing. sometimes blood while brushing too. I have pain especially in the wisdom teeth and front teeths. Please help with some remedy. I use Sensodyne toothpaste and brush twice a day. Thanks for your help here. Please suggest some medications. Aniket
Posted Thu, 12 Dec 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Bibhu Dutt Nanda 1 hour later
Brief Answer: tooth ache on chewing is from.infection Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXXXX Thanks for writing to us, I will be glad to answer your query. I would like to inform you that tooth ache on chewing is from infection either around the gums or in the tooth itself. If the pain is around wisdom tooth area then the most probable cause is pericoronitis, it is a condition when the third molar is erupting and the gum tissue covering it shows inflammation and swelling. I will advise you to perform warm saline rinses 3-4 times/ day and keep the wisdom tooth area clean. Or sometimes wisdom tooth does not have enough space to erupt therefore due to pressure from erupting forces tooth ache occurs. The best way to diagnose is to see a dentist who will then take an x-ray for your tooth and advise you on further treatment. For the bleeding gums it is from aggressive tooth brushing or due to accumulation of plaque around the teeth. I will advise you to use an ultrasoft tooth brush and get a professional cleaning done for your teeth every 6 months. You can also use a dental floss to clean the areas between the teeth where tooth bristles are unable to reach. Kindly follow this regime for a month to see the difference and visit your dentist soon. I hope i answered your query. If you have any further questions feel free to write back. I wish you good health, Thank you.
Follow-up: Have tooth ache while chewing and pain in wisdom teeth. Suggest the medication? 11 minutes later
Thank you so much for the answer, I will consult the Doc but as of now to get relief from pain, can you suggest any medication please? thanks
Answered by Dr. Bibhu Dutt Nanda 6 minutes later
Brief Answer: for tooth ache.... Detailed Answer: Thank you for writing back to us, Please be advised that ibuprofen is one of the medications which will help with temporary pain relief. Also perform warm saline rinses as well. But do not overdose yourself with the medicine. You can also apply cold compresses on and off if the pain does not subside with medicines. But avoid hot drinks or food for a while. Please visit your dentist soon. I wish you good health. Take care.