Ask a Dentist   »  

Have tooth abscess. Prescribed clindamycin. Allergic to amoxicillin. What can I do to relieve pain?

Question
I have a tooth access and was prescribed clindamycin. I am very nervous about taking this drug after researching on the Internet. I am leaving on Monday for california by plane and do not want to experience any bad side effects. Is there something else I can take that would not be so strong, although I supposedly am allergic to amoxicillin. Also, what can I do to relieve the pain when I m flying?
Posted Wed, 10 Jul 2013 in Dental Health

Answered by Dr. Bibhu Dutt Nanda 5 hours later

I would like you to know that it is completely fine to take Clindamycin as prescribed by your dentist.
Only overdosage causes side effects , therefore it is okay to have clindamycin on normal doses.

Although nausea, diarrhea are common side effects which can be overcome by consuming antacids.
You stated that you are allergic to penicillin, in such a case clindamycin is the best and the safest option.

Hope, I answered your query.

If you have any further questions, kindly right back to us.
I wish you good health.

Follow-up: Have tooth abscess. Prescribed clindamycin. Allergic to amoxicillin. What can I do to relieve pain? 22 minutes later
Is it okay to fly when you have a tooth abscess?

Answered by Dr. Bibhu Dutt Nanda 1 hour later

Thanks for writing back,

I would like you to know that ideally we advise not to take a flight with a painful tooth abscess as the pressure inside the cabin causes the tooth to ache, but in some cases when the abscess is not big enough and the dentist has already prescribed antibiotics then there is no need to worry.

I assume in your case, you don't have any extra oral swelling or severe pain.
If any of the symptoms exist even after taking antibiotics and pain killers then i will advise you not to take a flight or see your dentist before flying.

If you have any further queries feel free to write back.
I wish you good health,