Have tonsil stones after having a sinus cold. Feeling pain, discomfort around mouth. Any suggestion?

I recently figured out I have tonsil stones after having a sinus cold for the first time, so i went online and searched how to get them out in a safe manner. So for three days I was picking away near my glossopalatine arch which as I have notice is very sensitive and I started feeling pain and discomfort around that part of my mouth, seems as though I injured it and irritated it so much that I probably took off some skin, so the next day an ulcer (which I have never had in my life) has surfaced...It is very painful I have been gargeling with salt water and I have had it for 3 days now, and nothing seems to be working....DO you have any suggestions?
Posted Thu, 2 May 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Farah Hussain 21 minutes later
Hello there ,

Thanks for writing your query ,

According to your clinical history i suspect you have injured the oral mucosa near glossopharnygeal region. Injury has lead to formation of ulceration in the area.

I would suggest you to go for symptomatic treatment at home like gargling with lukewarm saline water or antiseptic mouthwash like chlorhexidine or betadine which will give soothing effect and will help in faster healing of ulcers.

Apply oral antiseptic ,analgesic ointments like dentogel or mucogel topically over the affected area.

To prevent infection in the area start with the course of antibiotic Augmentin 625mg along with analgesics like aceclofenac two times daily for 3 to 5 days .

For tonsil stones , you need to get the examination done consulting an ENT specialist which will help in ruling out the exact cause and treatment accordingly.

I hope this information helps you ,

Regards ,

Dr.Farah Hussain.
Follow-up: Have tonsil stones after having a sinus cold. Feeling pain, discomfort around mouth. Any suggestion? 5 hours later
okay thank-you, and the analgesic oitment i can purchase at the pharmacy? also this only happened 2 days ago. How long should I wait before going to the doctors?
Answered by Dr. Farah Hussain 12 minutes later
Hi there ,

Yes of course you can easily get these antiseptic,analgesic oral ointments in the local pharmacy.

You just need symptomatic treatment to cure the ulcer in the glossopharyngeal region .

Continue with the lukewarm saline gargles and topical application of oral medication for about 5 to 7 days regularly.

Ulcers may take a little longer to heal but if the symptoms do not subside within 7 to 10 days, please get the examination done by a dentist.