Have tonsil infection and abscess on pallet. Tested for glandular fever positive. Gained weight. Joints pain. What to do?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have been ill with a tonsil infection and an absess on the pallet at the top of my mouth after 2 types of antibiotics this has cleared but 2 weeks later I am still feeling ill. I have been tested for glandular fever and it has come back positive but apparently that is because I have had it years ago and it is in my blood but all other things in my blood test have come up fine. I have gained 5 kgs in a month I am very sleepy and my joints are aching. I have had a headache on and off the hole time and am nausious all day. Quite often i get headspins. The headache feels like pressure between my temple on the left and my eye. I am 27 and weigh 106kgs
Posted Wed, 9 Oct 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Take analgesic and balance diet

Detailed Answer:

I have studied your case.

As per your symptoms I can say that glandular fever is reason for your present illness.
It’s a viral illness and will lead to weakness and body pain.
You need to combat this by taking symptomatic medications like analgesic, antibiotic and nutritional supplement.
Take high protein diet, fruits and fruit juices, soups, salads, drink lot of water.
Yes you need to keep check on your weight so avoid carbohydrate and fats.
You need to take some herbal supplement to improve immunity.

Continue your medications for migraine, sumatriptans will help you much.
My patients with migraine have found profound decrease in pain after yoga, pranayama, and meditation. You can supplement some holistic approach like this.

Hope this helps. Wish her a speedy recovery.

Follow-up: Have tonsil infection and abscess on pallet. Tested for glandular fever positive. Gained weight. Joints pain. What to do? 3 hours later
So even though I was feeling better for a week and am now having to stay in bed because of the dizzyness you would still say its the fever? Hojw long will this last normally?
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Tiredness may last for 3-4 weeks

Detailed Answer:
Hello again
Tiredness and dizziness may some times last for 3-4 weeks or more but other symptoms like fever sore throat subsides with in 1 week.
In the longer term, rest is often needed according to symptoms. While some exercise can help maintain mood, muscle mass and energy, too much exercise may exacerbate fatigue.

If the tiredness is ongoing, it may be valuable to see a dietician or nutritionist to make sure you have not omitted any nutrients during your illness.If you feel symptoms are aggravating you can consult your treating doctor.