Have tiny white and flesh looking hard bumps on soft palate and itchy throat. Is it oral warts?

Dermatologist
Question
Hi, I have tiny white or flesh looking hard bumps on my soft palate and palatopharyngeal arch. Sometimes my throat is really itchy from it. I was wondering if it could be oral warts. All the pics I see are on the lips or real big in the mouth. These are little bumps.
Posted Thu, 5 Dec 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 17 minutes later
Brief Answer: More information needed.Pics needed. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Thanks for writing in. I have gone through your history. The bump you are talking about can be viral wart or oral papilloma or fordyce spots. If you can upload the images of the spots it would be of great help. Both are benign changes and there is nothing to be worried about. In my clinic the patients with such lesion are treated with cryotherapy or radiofrequency cautery. Treatment is indicated if the number of lesions increase or they become large or cause symptoms.If asymptomatic they can be observed safely for few weeks. Hope this helps. Upload the images and we can continue the discussion here. I will be available for follow up. Regards DrSudarshan MD Dermatology,STD specialist.

Follow-up: Have tiny white and flesh looking hard bumps on soft palate and itchy throat. Is it oral warts? 20 hours later
its hard to see but you can see on the arch were its red there are little white bumps and on the soft palate were its yellow like there are also flesh colored bumps. they are small but there is alot of them. they dont change in size or spread that ik aware of but ive never noticed them until recently.

Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 27 hours later
Brief Answer: Not warts.No need to worry. Detailed Answer: Hi again, Thanks for the details. I have gone through the image uploaded. They do not appear to be wart.More commonly they can arise from candidial infection,smoking ,oral hygiene related issues,also they can be fordyce spots which are benign change considered normal. My advise to you would be to maintain good oral hygiene with brushing and use of chlorhexidine containing mouthwash daily.The condition may subside with this intervention only. The white spots are not warts to be sure.There is nothing to be worried about.In case they persist after 6 weeks or they increase in size then opinion of dermatologist /oral pathologist would be required. Hope this helps. If you need any further clarification I would be available for follow up. Reagards. DrSudarshan MD Dermatology/STD specialist

Follow-up: Have tiny white and flesh looking hard bumps on soft palate and itchy throat. Is it oral warts? 10 hours later
Thank you for all the info. I also forgot the one on the tip of my tongue I sent a picture of. they have all been there longer than six weeks but ill start trying mouth wash and would gargling salt water help. does the one on the tip look like anything.

Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Mouth was use and salt water gargling Detailed Answer: Hi again, I have gone through the tongue pic uploaded by you. It appears to be mucous cyst.It is a benign change.It occurs due to blockage of minor salivary glands.It will also resolve on its own .There is nothing to be worried about. You can do salt water gargling it will help. Hope this helps. Regards. DrSudarshan

Follow-up: Have tiny white and flesh looking hard bumps on soft palate and itchy throat. Is it oral warts? 14 minutes later
thank you for all your help. you have eased my mind

Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 19 hours later
Brief Answer: continue the advise given Detailed Answer: Hi again, If you are satisfied with the answer then please accept and rate the answer at the end.You can directly ask me any skin or STD related problem directly by "ask DrSudarshan" in question. Regards DrSudarshan