Have tiny, itchy, fluid filled pimples on scalp. How to get relief?

I have had, off and on for about 12 years, tiny, tiny fluid filled pimples on my scalp that are extremely itchy. If I lightly run the back of my fingernail over them, they snap/pop.
The itching goes away immediately, until they return...sometimes the same day or weeks later. I usually get them on the crown and sides of my scalp. I went to the local clinic, and the doctor didn't know what they were...he asked if my pets had fleas...they do not....he didn't know. I thought that although this is probably a long shot, perhaps you had an answer for me. The itching can be very trying, because I don't want to pop them, but I usually do because it brings great relief. Thanks, XXXXXXX
Posted Wed, 24 Oct 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Pravin Banodkar 1 hour later
Welcome! I would be pleased to answer your question .
I would suggest this modality of management .
From your description they look like distinct Folliculitis .
You should use over the counter Neutrogena T gel shampoo everyday to wash your scalp daily for 1 week and after that reduce the frequency of washing to twice a week . Make sure you keep the shampoo foam and wetness in contact with the scalp for at least 10 minutes. The other option is if you can get by prescription a shampoo called Capex( Galderma) shampoo and use it alternately with Neutrogena . For example the routine would be Mon Wed Fri ( Neutrogena T gel ) and Tue Thurs Sat ( Capex)

You can also apply two lotions on the scalp . You can mix and apply Cortaid lotion along with an antibacterial lotion like Clindamycin lotion twice a day . You will get the Cortaid lotion over the counter but you will need to get Clindamycin lotion as a prescription from your Doctor / GP / Dermatologist .
If it does not improve , it would be necessary to take a biopsy from the site to rule out dissecting cellulitis of the scalp , lichen planus .

Thanks and Take care
Follow-up: Have tiny, itchy, fluid filled pimples on scalp. How to get relief? 28 minutes later
Will using these shampoos and lotions be needed always, or will it finally go away and never come back? I know this is a tall question, but I'm really tired of this. I have used "Proactiv Soothing Scalp Treatment" shampoo, and after about a week it was totally gone...but, then a month or so later, it comes back....the itching can be intense. Everyone in my household is under strict orders to not use any of my combs or brushes because I don't know if it is infectious. I'll definitely try your suggestion...something has to finally eliminate it. Thanks for your direction and help.
Answered by Dr. Pravin Banodkar 3 minutes later
Thanks for the reply posted .

You will need to use it regularly as I have mentioned for at least 2 months and then you can use it once a week as a maintenance.

Thanks and good luck.
Follow-up: Have tiny, itchy, fluid filled pimples on scalp. How to get relief? 16 minutes later
I just looked up the dissecting cellulitis of the scalp and lichen planus.... and mine do not look like any of the photos I viewed.
I also took a look at some photos of Folliculitis and it did resemble it a bit. Most of the photos online were, or seem to be, much more severe than what I have.
I get 4 to 6 TINY pimples and that's it....but very itchy. Most of the photos on line were large masses of pimples. I'm certainly going to try your suggestion. Thank you again.
Answered by Dr. Pravin Banodkar 5 minutes later
Thanks . Do write in a follow up later .