Have tiny bumps and discolotation on ankles. Is this normal?

Hi, I had what looked like tiny bumps that itch on my right ankle. Now it has stopped itching but i have discoloration on my ankle and around my foot. It looks like a healing bruise of brown and yellow. Should I see my doctor or is this normal?
Posted Tue, 14 May 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 25 minutes later

Thanks for sharing your concern.

With the itching, if you scratched the area you might have created some trauma to the skin and soft tissues, and now it is reflected as an ecchymosis (the bruise you mention) which appears to be resolving by your description.

If the same situation would have happened after a fall or twisting your ankle, then we would be thinking about an ankle sprain, but this does not seem to be the case.

Hope this helps with your query, wish you the best health,

Dr Brenes-Salazar M.D.
Mayo Clinic Rochester, MN