Have tingling sensation running in the back. Get numb patches in mouth and parts of face. What could be the cause?

I have a strange tingerling sensation which runs down the left hand side of my back, it is nearly a numb feeling which comes and goes. I also get numb patches in my mouth and tinglering around my parts of my face. any ideas what would cause this??
Posted Sun, 17 Nov 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Common within one year after pregnancy

Detailed Answer:

Did this happen once or is it recurring?

If it happens only once it is not to be scared. If it is recurring then there should be a reason to investigate and find the cause. Recurring attacks of such tingling sensation and numb feeling occurs can happen up to one year post pregnancy. It subsides on its own. It is better to get a nutritional work up by a local doctor.

Do you have any more queries, please let me know
Follow-up: Have tingling sensation running in the back. Get numb patches in mouth and parts of face. What could be the cause? 12 minutes later
It has been a recurring sensation over the past month or so on a daily basis. I also had geographic tongue throughout my pregnancy yet haven't got any markings at present...Do you suggest the numb tingerly feeling is due to hormones after pregnancy? I assumed my hormone levels was the course of my tongue patterns. Thank you for your opinion.
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Probably dimnishing hormones

Detailed Answer:

Probably a case of diminishing hormones but need a close watch on the onset of symptom and recurrence. Ideally if it is post pregnancy issues the frequency of recurrence should reduce as the hormones reduce in quantity. Keep a watch and make a note on the calender.

However a nutritional work up is imperative like Iron, calcium, magnesium and also thyroid.

Thank you.