Have tingling sensation on tongue, dizzy spells. Had mild herpes zoster, was treated. What causes these symptoms?

I have a tingling sensation on the right side of the tip of my tongue, and dizzy spells that come and go throughout the day. A month and a half ago I also had mild herpes zoster, with large swolen glands in neck and armpit. Was treated with antibiotic as well just in case it was anything bacterial.
I also changed diet, less carbohydrates and increased protein intake. Cut out fructose as well for most of the week.
Any idea what could cause my current symptoms? I have no real noteworthy medicalbackground and am in good physical shape. I am reading concerning stories on these symptoms so I would like to hereby check a professional's opinion.
Posted Tue, 28 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

There are different nerves that supply the tongue. The hypoglossal nerve is mainly responsible for movement of the tongue and three other nerves are mainly responsible for sensation or feeling in the tongue.

These nerves are: (1) part of a nerve called the trigeminal nerve (2) facial nerve and (3) glossopharyngeal nerve
Abnormal sensation of any aspect of the tongue can occur with anything that affects the function of any of these nerves.

These potential causes would also contribute to the dizziness that you are experiencing:(1) vitamin or mineral deficiency - deficiency of calcium, sodium, potassium and vitamin B12 can all cause neurological symptoms
(2) high intake of alcohol but this mainly occurs because alcohol intake is associated with a lack of vitamin use
(3)a lesion placing pressure on one of the nerves mentioned as it passes through the brain
(4)multiple sclerosis
(5) any surgical procedure that may have damaged any of the nerves
(6) in some persons with low levels of thyroid hormone

It would be best if possible for you to visit your doctor for an assessment. This should include history taking and examination of your central nervous system. A central nervous system examination looks at the movement and sensation in different aspects of the body to assess the nerves that supply those specific areas.

In addition based on his or her findings you may need blood tests and possibly imaging tests of the brain to rule out any significant problem.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions