Have tingling fingers, rib pain and tenderness. What is causing this?

Hello under both sides of my ribs is tender to the touch and my fingers get tingly within NHS and needles.sometimes when I sneeze my arms get shooting pains thank you
Posted Sat, 11 May 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 4 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query,

Tenderness of the ribs to touch is a common symptom. But a few things are supposed to be put into perspective for a better clinical evaluation.

When did you start having this pain, do you have any fever?
Any history of coughing?

The association shooting pains in the arms are suggestive of an inflammatory component. I suggest you do an erythrocyte sedimentation rate and C-reactive protein (CRP). These markers if raised, coupled with the tenders to touch of the ribs, especially at the junctions between the ribs and sternum, this could be a classical syndrome called Treitz syndromes, which is easily managed with steroids.

Pains in the arms, especially shooting pains, when you sneeze are indicative of a sudden discharge of electric activity or an acute irritation or compression of never fibers or roots. A neurologic assessment is very important to assess whether it’s a peripheral neuropathy or any signs of nerve root compression.

A chest X XXXXXXX is fundamental to ascertain chest integrity and a rheumatologic assessment for a start.

Electrolyte abnormalities like low Calcium and Magnesium levels are important to be controlled.

I suggest you book an appointment with your internist for a clinical evaluation and management.

Feel very free asking further questions if need be.

Waiting for your response,
Dr Luchuo, MD.
Follow-up: Have tingling fingers, rib pain and tenderness. What is causing this? 1 hour later
Thank you very much for the response. I have had no issues with fever or coughing. I have had periods of drowsiness not known orbits from stress in my life or what.but for the past year or so I always get very sleepy after I eat. I don't know if this is normal either. Thank you again
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 9 minutes later

Thanks for writing back.

Its good already you are neither feverish nor do you cough.

I suggest with a clinical evaluation and proper interaction with your internist, all should be fine with respect to knowing the cause of symptoms and treating appropriately. I suggest you need not worry as you wait to XXXXXXX the internist.

You might consult your doctor if you experience any very severe pain or awkward symptoms before your appointment.

Thanks and best regards,
Dr Luchuo, MD.