Have tightening in neck, feeling uncomfortable. Will it be cured by sublingual nitroglycerin?

I have a tightening in my neck that is very uncomfortable. It happens once every 2-3 weeks or so, and if severe, can be relieved by sublinqual nitro. Likely cause?
Posted Wed, 29 Aug 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 4 hours later
Hello and thanks for the query.
If your tightening around neck is getting immediate relief by taking a sublingual nitro then the most likely cause for your problem is myocardial ischemia.
I would advise you to consult a cardiologist and get the required investigations done.
Either a non invasive test like thallium stress test or an invasive procedure like coronary angiography can be done which can detect any blockage in the arteries.

Do write to me if there is Any additional query to be asked.
Best of luck
Follow-up: Have tightening in neck, feeling uncomfortable. Will it be cured by sublingual nitroglycerin? 13 hours later

Thanks for your reply. The relief using nitro is not immediate, but within 2-3 minutes. I just had a clean standard treadmill, but you think that an angiogram is probably warranted? Are there other possible causes, other than cardiac (e.g., esophageal)?

Best regards,
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 2 hours later
You are right that that there can be other causes for your problem but a non cardiac stiffness and pain should not be relieved by sublingual nitro.