Have tietze syndrome with cold and cough. Noticed black specks in mucus. X-ray done. Worrisome

I have been coughing up brown spacks in mucus for quite a while. been to my doctor who ordered chest xrays and didn't seem overly concerned. in the past after a cold i have had blood with it too, but that usually goes away once the cold is over. i recently have gotten over a cold again and the mucus i cough up is bloody sometimes and the brown specks are there as always. there is also a pain in my left chest that the doctor has done tests for and ruled out my heart and everything else. he dianosed me with tietze symdrom. i smoke marijuana daily and was wondering if i should even waste a trip back to the doctor, i mean i have been gone through all this with him before, but everytime i cough up blood with the brown specks i get worried and search the net.
Posted Tue, 16 Apr 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 50 minutes later
Thanks for posting the query on XXXXXXX After going through your query, I would like to comment the following:

1. You seem to be having recurrent episodes of cough and cold sometimes associated with streaky hemoptysis (blood in sputum).

2. There has to be some lung lung involvement in addition to teitze syndrome for blood to be coughed.

3. Its a good news that your heart is normal.

4. You need to visit a Pulmonologist and get yourself evaluated in detail. There is a possibility of you suffering from COPD with Bronchiectasis (left sided) with repeated secondary infections which give rise to repeated episodes of blood in cough. Investigations that may be required are pulmonary function test, chest xray and HRCT scan of the thorax. Thus you need a good course of antibiotics, probably inhaled broncho dilators and blood stopping medications.

5. It is therefore advised that you visit a Pulmonologist and get yourself evaluated as soon as possible and please do not neglect your symptoms.

6. Also please stop smoking as soon as possible.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be glad to answer follow up queries if any.
Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra
Consultant Pulmonologist