Have thyroid lump. Noticed weight loss with fever. Took thyronorm. Do I need surgery?

I am 22 yr old. i ve a thyroid lump on the rt lobe frm past 2 month. i need a suggestion frm d specialist. Day by day my weight is decreasing (lost upto 8 kg for 2 months) and i have fever frm past 2months. i took many medicines like Thyronorm for one month but no use at all. The doctor who suggested thyronorm and calcium supplements asked me follow up if there is no improvement. My Thyroid profile is apparently normal by the doctor with TSH around 2.5. My family doctor said that I need surgery. I am confused and worried.
Posted Sun, 13 Jan 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Anantharaman 19 hours later
I apologise for the late reply. you do have significant weight loss and require evaluation.there are afew things that i want to know

1) What is your T3 and T4 level in addition to TSH.If T3 and T4 are normal its unlikely that the thyroid dysfunction is causing your weight loss

2) You require a general evaluation of your health in view of the weight loss which includes
a) Hb,TLC,DLC platelet count and peripheral smear
b) fasting and post meal glucose ,liver and kidney function test

3) For a thyroid lump the usual test is a Fine needle aspiration cytology(fnac).in this test the doctor will aspirate a smalll amount of material from the nodule that you have to see what it is.In addition to this before you subject yourself to the FNAC please get a ultrasound of the thyroid done .it will reval if there are other nodules and the charecteristics of the nodule which will help the doctor who is doing the FNAC.
please get back to me for any clarifications