Have thrombosed hemorrhoid. Do I need to get it looked at?

I am 99% sure I have a thrombosed hemorrhoid which I just noticed today. I am getting mixed information on the web about whether it will go away on its own. I don't have medical insurance so i am wondering if I need to get it looked at/lanced.

Posted Wed, 19 Sep 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Om Lakhani 33 minutes later

If it is an external thrombosed hemorrhoid and it is not painful than nothing needs to be done. Local nifidipine cream can be used if there are mild symptoms. However since the diagnosis you have made is self made and not confirmed physically by a doctor you need to contact your local GP who can do a perform a per rectal examination and confirm the diagnosis. He can even prescribe you the cream i just mentioned. If it becomes very painful then you need to see a surgeon who can excise it under local anesthesia.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help

Dr. Om Lakhani