Have throat infection. Diagnosed with tonsillitis. Rashes appeared after taking penicillin. What should be done?

My son went to uni a few weeks ago and after one day ended up in hospital. he was told it was a severe throat infection. After another day he felt so bad went to doctor and she said it could be tonsillitis. He took penicillin and came out in a bad rash. Was given different medication by home GP. he went to health clinic on Saturday where they would not give more antibiotics but said to go to GP to be tested for glandular fever. Finally got an appointment on Tuesday and Gp said he didn't have glandular blood test given. i am no unsure as towhether my son has glandular fever or not, although he has improved a bit in the last day.
Posted Tue, 30 Oct 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib 2 hours later

While several symptoms of tonsillitis are similar to that of glandular fever, there are some things like a severe fatigue, muscle pain and headache which point towards glandular fever.
The main way to distinguish is a monospot test. As of now, I would suggest we get a complete blood count and a throat culture and sensitivity done for him. Once we have the results, we can take this further. Also, he should take plenty of warm liquids, avoid heavy strenuous activity and he should be fine.
Let me know if you have any further concerns.