Have thickened uterine stripe but on birth control pill. Will have d and c and hysteroscopy. Chances of uterine cancer?

Question
I have an 11mm thickened uterine stripe, but am on birth control pill. I'm havng a d and c and hysteroscopy next week. I was told I won't have uterine cancer because I am on the pill - I'm worried that's not true. I have been bleeding for 4 months daily, while on birth control. Any thought would be appreciated
Posted Sun, 14 Jul 2013 in Cancer

Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 4 hours later
Hello
Firstly if you have history of carcinoma in situ there is always a risk.Having said that you need to know that at your age 46 you should stop using combined October pills which contain estrogen.
Normally bc pills reduce bleeding so if you are having prolonged bleeding there is obviously some pathology . First rule out endometrial cancer by a d&c and after that other causes like fibroid,adenomyosis,polyp etc. Do the d/c hysteroscopy and go from there. You will know much more after the pathology report.

Follow-up: Have thickened uterine stripe but on birth control pill. Will have d and c and hysteroscopy. Chances of uterine cancer? 52 minutes later
Thank you. I was unaware about the discontinuing of the birth control pill. You have given me great information and comfort. Best wishes to you.

Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 5 hours later
Happy to help.