Have thick yellow/orange vaginal discharge. What is the treatment?

I have a thick yellow/orange vaginal discharge
Posted Tue, 7 May 2013 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 5 minutes later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

The most common cause of a discharge like you are describing is a vaginal yeast infection. These are extremely common and associated with a heavy discharge that can be everything from white to yellow/orange. Most of the time they are associated with itching, but this is not always the case. In a case like yours, I would have you consider:
1. Treat with an over-the-counter yeast medication - ideally a full 7 days
2. If there was not a noticeable improvement within 3-4 days, then schedule an appointment with your doctor

If you have any followup questions, let me know!
Follow-up: Have thick yellow/orange vaginal discharge. What is the treatment? 20 minutes later
Thanks for your reply. How can I buy 7 day treatment over the counter? Can you recommend any as it all seems to be the one off canesten treatment?
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 1 hour later
This medication is called clotrimazole. It is usually bought as a cream over-the-counter. You can just buy enough to last 7 days, and consider using it once at bedtime for the seven days - this should work if it is a yeast infection.

I hope that this helps!