Have thick long hair. Experiencing pain at hair's root. Should I consult a doctor?

I am a 25 year old female with relatively thick long hair (about 2 feet) and good hair genes on both sides of my family. I am concerned about keeping my hair in good condition. I have always experienced gentle amounts of pain at my hair's roots when I move it into positions it does not usually lay in. What is the likely cause of this? will it lead to balding or hairloss? should I see a doctor? will cutting it help?
Posted Sun, 10 Feb 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 3 hours later
You are lucky to have inherited good hair from either side of your family. To maintain it well, you may follow these suggestions
1) do hot oil massage with olive oil or coconut oil or almond oil at least once a week
2) use a mild hair shampoo and conditioner to wash your hair. Hair should be washed regularly at least twice in a week if not every alternate days.
3) do not use hot water to wash hair
4) do not comb wet hair. Always use a wide tooth comb to detangle hair first.
5) avoid too much chemical treatment of hair like perming, streaking or colouring.
6) take a nutritious diet XXXXXXX in proteins, carbohydrates, vitamins and minerals. Taking sea foods, salads, liver, yoghurt, wheat germ,nuts helps in maintaining good hair
7) trim your hair monthly to avoid split ends and maintains good growth.

As far as pain in hair root is concerned, it is due to build up of dust,oils and toxins that irritates your scalp and the hair follicles. Frequent washing of hair would remove the hair debris and prevent such pain in hair root. It is not going to cause any hair loss.
Try these suggestions, if even after following these, the pain in hair root persists, you might try consulting a doctor to rule any other cause for pain in hair roots.

Hope that answers your query. Should there be more, I would be happy to assist you further. Take care.