Have thalassemia minor. Why do I have dizziness, headaches, spells? Anyway I can avoid this?

im a 37yr old Male, 5'8 205 lbs. I have Thallesemia-Minor and have had some strange issues as of late.

Issues, Headaches w/ XXXXXXX - I see glimmering spots, they gradually grow and ultimately disappear. To that extent thats ussually the end of it. This past time, i had that happen, then woke the next morning with a pretty good headache, especially when coughing followed the next morning with what i'd describe as a kink in my neck then followed by (again the next morning and ever since- 4days now) Dizziness. Im dizzy whenever getting up from a laying position, i get dizzy when leaning back in an office chair to "stretch" and if i change my focal point drastically with effort, i.e. looking straignt up and then turning sharpy left or right or down. I can avoid the dizziness if i slow those motions down but cannot avoid the spells when getting up or when stretching.

I dont have confidence in my PCP and woould like some additional information or questions to ask when i finally do cave in to go see him

Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later

Headaches with XXXXXXX are most commonly associated with migraine. A migraine is caused by abnormal brain activity, which is triggered by stress, certain foods, environmental factors, or something else. You need to identify the aggravating factors and avoid them at all costs.
In addition developing proper sleep habits and a healthy lifestyle is very essential to avoid such headaches.
The dizziness that you experience with changing the position of your neck is most likely to be related to cervical spondylosis. Getting an x-ray lateral view of neck and MRI of cervical spine will help in diagnosis.
Please visit your primary physician to undergo physical check up and also to undergo relevant investigations required in your case.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Have thalassemia minor. Why do I have dizziness, headaches, spells? Anyway I can avoid this? 1 hour later
My dizziness is NEW, and most prominant when trying to situp/stand up from a lying position. Also very prominant when Stretching in a chair. Im relatively athletic, and dont usually have neck pain so i do not beleive that i have the symptoms for cervical spondylosis . I beleive my issues to be more related to either the headaches or a lingering head cold. Again, the dizziness comes with some level of exhertion, not just by looking around.

I will contact my PCP however i do beleive theres more to it and was hoping for a little more from this site.

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 8 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
Cervical spondylosis is not always associated with neck pain. Feeling dizziness on movement is one of its initial symptoms. Lingering head cold can be responsible for your aggravation of headaches.
Not being able to examine you, this is of course an educated guess and not a diagnosis. Only a direct examination with a qualified clinician can result in an accurate diagnosis.
Hope my answer is helpful.