Have thalassaemia minor, unplanned pregnancy. Any complications in aborting with a pill?

age 27

problem: my girlfriend is pregnant (unplanned pregnancy) and she has thalassemia minor. would she have any complications in aborting with a pill ?
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Abortion and Stillbirth
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 6 hours later
Thalassaemia minor is associated with mild anemia. In an MTP kit ( medical abortion) Mifepristone is used along with Misoprostol for complete abortion up to 49 days of pregnancy. This drug is to be taken under Medical Supervision as it can cause serious effects as nausea, vomitting, fever, pain, excessive henmorrhagic bleeding and sometimes incomplete abortion can also occur causing the remnants to remain.
In many cases these medicines causes excessive bleeding and in a patient with anemia, it might cause serious complications even leading to blood transfusions.
It is not advisable for an already anemic person to consume these tablets without any direct medical supervision.
It is best for her to get a dilatation and curettage ( D&C) done under the supervision of her gynecologist.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.

Follow-up: Have thalassaemia minor, unplanned pregnancy. Any complications in aborting with a pill? 3 hours later
Thankyou doctor for answering my question. I have another question i'd like to ask. This dilatation and curettage (D&C procedure) that you have mentioned in your reply, how much do you think it should cost me? Do you suggest a clinic or a hospital where i could get it done which is not too expensive in south mumbai or central mumbai.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 hours later
Thanks for writing again.

D&C (dilatation and curretage) is a routine procedure and can be done competently by every gynecologist.

In Mumbai, the cost of procedure should be between Rs. 2500- 5000.
It varies from doctor to doctor.

Hope my answer is helpful. Write back if you have further queries.
Wishing you a trouble free speedy recovery.

Follow-up: Have thalassaemia minor, unplanned pregnancy. Any complications in aborting with a pill? 1 hour later
Dr. Tayal,
I am completely shocked by your reply ! As you mentioned the cost of the D&C procedure is Rs. 2,500-5,000. I don't know if that is a typing error or the real cost, as I had previously spent Rs. 26,000 solely on the procedure (Excluding the doctor's consultancy fees, medicines, sonography, etc.)
The reason I wrote to you was to find out if it could be done with the pill, as I spent over 30,000 for the entire thing pre & post procedure. At that time I didn't mind spending any amount as I thought solely for my girlfriend's safety & well being, due to her blood disorder.
All I want is not to be cheated this time and if it is within 5000 in mumbai I would like to do the D&C procedure, as it is safer for her. Is it at this rate at a private clinic & hygienic ? Could you please recommend 2 3 places ?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later

I am equally shocked to see what you have spent earlier. I told you the prices vary with place and doctor. I can only tell you the cost of procedure in North India. In Mumbai, you can go to Grants medical college for the best and cheapest treatment.

Hope, this answers your query.

Wish you good health.