Have terrible stomach bloating and gas. Drinking star bucks coffee. Is that the reason?

My daughter and I have had terrible stomach bloating and gas. The only thing that we both eat or drink the same is Starbucks. Is this possible? Other than we are Mother/Daughter, and we both drink Starbucks coffee. I am 67 and she 42.
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Radhika 27 minutes later

Star bucks coffee or any coffee for that matter can cause problems that are associated with heartburn, gas and GERD (gastro esophageal reflux disease) if taken in excess. If both of you stay together it might be also due to the kind of food you are both consuming.

There are a variety of other things that can cause this bloated feeling. The commonest causes are indigestion, fatty diet, constipation, peptic ulcer, anxiety, alcohol, smoking, trapped wind, food intolerance, insufficient hydrochloric acid, insufficient digestive enzymes, lack of good intestinal flora and dysmotility (a slow digestive system). You will need to correct this if any of these is causing the problem.

The following life style changes might help you both control abdominal bloating.
1. Eat small meals at regular intervals
2. Reduce the amount of coffee, tea, alcohol you consume.
3. Exercise regularly for at least 50 minutes a day.
4. Avoid all fatty and spicy food. Reduce non vegetarian and pulses (these can also cause gas).
5. Minimize the use of antibiotics. Antibiotics destroy the harmless bacteria normally present in the digestive tract that usually help you digest food.
6. Taking mint juice will also help relieve these symptoms immediately.

In addition to these lifestyle changes, you may try taking proton pump inhibitors like Prilosec (over the counter medication) once a day for 1 week 20 minutes before food. Drink sufficient fluids, eat fresh fruits and vegetables.
If your symptoms do not resolve, I would suggest that you visit a physician who can evaluate you.

Hope I have answered all your queries. Please accept my answer if you do not have any follow up queries.