Have terrible odur in vagina. Had IUD. Can I remove IUD?

Hi, I've had my XXXXXXX iud in now for approx 3 years. I have a terrible vaginal odour which I believe could be from the iud. Can I remove the iud myself? Also if I get a specialist to remove it, when will the dreadful odour disappear.
Posted Tue, 23 Jul 2013 in Birth Control
Answered by Dr. Monika Choudhary 30 minutes later
Vaginal odour is symptom of infection & intrauterine device is aggravating factor for it.
You can not remove this device by your self.
Consult your gynecologist for its removal & get high vaginal swab test done to detect causative agent of infection.
After getting report of High vaginal swab test take proper course of antibiotics.
I hope after taking full course of antibiotics you will get rid of this problem.
I think your query has been answered. I will be available for your further queries.