Have tenderness in front of ear and dull ache in the side. Difficulty in chewing and slight headache. What could be the cause?

I have tenderness in front of my ear and a dull ache up that side of my ear and difficulty chewing. It only started 3 days ago. Also a slight headache and this morning when I was having breakfast a little clicky thing which hurts a bit.
What do you think is the cause of this please?
Posted Wed, 13 Nov 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
A short course of anti-inflammatory drug required

Detailed Answer:
Hi Ma'am,

From the information provided, I suspect that you have either developed inflammation or, dislocation of the temporo-mandibular joint (TMJ) on the affected side. The TMJ- located just in front and below of ear lobe- connects the jaw with the skull. Also, the click was due to malfunction of the joint.

In case of inflammation of TMJ, you will recover with a short course of anti-inflammatory drugs, such as, a combination of ibuprofen + paracetamol.

Dislocation of TMJ, though less likely, will require relocation by a very minor maneuvering procedure.

Please consult your doctor, who will examine your TMJ, come to a conclusion regarding either of the cause mentioned above and, take appropriate action.

I will be happy to answer further clarifications, if any.

Fond regards,

Dr. Rakesh Karanwal