Have tender swollen lymph nodes, constant drainage down back of throat and fuzzy feeling. Cause?

General Surgeon
I have tender swollen lymph nodes, constant drainage down back of throat, and fuzzy feeling. Low grade fever. No congestion or headache. Feel unwell!
Posted Thu, 10 Oct 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. M Y Shareef 2 hours later
Hi XXXXX ! I am Dr Shareef answering your query. Tender swollen lymph nodes are due to infection of the draining area for the nodes and with your symptoms could be the nose, throat or the sinuses.Fever is due infection. You have to take a course of antibiotics, steam inhalation and some decongestant drug after getting yourself examined by a ENT specialist/family physician. Good luck.
Follow-up: Have tender swollen lymph nodes, constant drainage down back of throat and fuzzy feeling. Cause? 2 days later
Hello! I have started azirhromycin today, and I am experiencing some diarrhea. When should I be concerned about the severity of the diarrhea? Also, my swollen lymph node hase become more painful- is that normal?
Answered by Dr. M Y Shareef 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Better to get reviewed by your treating doctor.

Detailed Answer:
HiXXXXX ! It was to hear from you. The delay in responding to your query was due to the odd late night hours in this region when your mail might have reached.

Azithromycin is an antibiotic, which may not be well tolerated by some. It may cause some abdominal discomfort with diarrhoea in those intolerant to it. You need not be worried about the diarrhoea unless it is severe and hampering your daily routine life and causing dehydration.

However, I am doubtful if the organism causing the infection in your lymph node is sensitive to azithromycin or not, as the pain in the nodes as you say has increasesed. I am not aware if you got yourself examined before starting your antibiotic. If not , and if the size of the lymph node increases along with the associated pain, may be it is going to form an abscess, and in that case, I would suggest you to get yourself reviewed by your ENT specialist/family physician. Till then please add an anti inflammatory drug to your medicines.

I hope I have answered your query. Thank you for using the XXXXXXX portal for your health query. Wishing you an early recovery.