Have tender and swollen gland in head moving down my neck. What could it be?

I have a very tender and swollen gland in my head which has now worked its way down my neck.
Posted Tue, 30 Apr 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
The very tender and swollen lymph node in the neck is likely to be caused by an infection in the head and neck region. It can be due to a viral or bacterial infection. Other causes include allergic reactions or some malignancy.
For this, a FNAB (fine needle aspiration biopsy) of the lymph nodes and swollen glands is the best test. FNAB is aspiration of the material of the glands which is done by a fine gauge needle (22 or 25 gauge) and a syringe. This will confirm the diagnosis
You can take pain relievers such as diclofenac/ibuprofen and an antibiotic after the consultation of your doctor. Avoid using any ear buds to clean the ear and drink plenty of water to keep you well hydrated.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.