Have tattoos, long time to heal. Worried to expose to sun. Precautions?

I have a heart condition & high blood pressure. My cardiologist has me on bisoprolol hctz, enalapril & atorvastatin. I have been on this drug regimen for several years & it seems to work. With summer coming, though, I have a question.
I am fair skinned and have found that something in this group makes my skin hyper sensitive. I don't go out sun bathing but I find that my driver's arm tends to develop little red spots as the summer goes on, rather than an overal mild sun burn. I also have had a few tattoos over these years and (besides bleeding alot which is understandable) it has taken several months for the tats to heal & set. Is there something I can do or take to alleviate these problems?
Posted Mon, 10 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Prasad Akole 3 hours later
Dear friend, welcome to Healthcaremagic!
I am Dr. Prasad Akole (Critical Care Expert- and am glad to address to your query here.

You seem to have a drug induced photo-sensitivity dermatitis.
Atorvastatin and less commonly hydrochlorothiazide (hctz), and enalapril can cause variable photo-sensitive dermatitis.

I would recommend that you consult a dermatologist and your cardiologist to confirm that it is indeed the case I suspect and be guided to see if one by one these are omitted and substituted with alternatives.

Till then avoiding sun-exposure is the way out to avoid these rashes.

Omitting the offending drug is the only absolute solution, which should be done under your cardiologist’s guidance.
Sunscreens may be tried till then.

I hope to have answered your query satisfactorily. I would be glad to answer any further queries. Take care and please keep me informed of your progress at
Good Luck!