Have taken zpack for the start of sinus infection. Can I have foot surgery?

ENT Specialist
If I take a zpack today - for the start of a sinus infection (no fever) can I have foot surgery on Friday?
Posted Tue, 20 Aug 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 1 hour later

Thanks for posting the query

If you do not have an acute infection, Z-pack is not recommended. Instead you can try doing steam inhalation, use saline spray and a mucolytic (such as ambroxol or bromhexine).

For foot surgery, usually spinal anaesthesia is given and not general anaesthesia. Hence, mild sinusitis is not a contraindication for foot surgery.

If you still feel unconvinced, you can definitely take Z-pack as a precautionary measure.

Hope this answers your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon