Have taken duo HIV test, came negative. How accurate is this test?

Question
I took a Duo Hiv test at 70 days and it has come back as negtive, how accurate is this?
Posted Sun, 8 Jul 2012 in HIV and AIDS

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 2 hours later

The DUO test is an HIV test that looks for antibodies for HIV-1 and HIV-2 and also looks for evidence of the p24 protein which is on the surface of the HIV virus particle. p24 is only detected for a short time after infection, and before HIV antibodies can be detected.

A study found that the test was 100% accurate if you get a negative result, and 94% accurate if you get a positive result. A negative result would only need to be confirmed with a second test if you were exposed less than 3 months ago.

However Western Blot test is quite confirmatory for HIV. Western Blot HIV tests usually look for antibodies against the following HIV proteins:

•     Proteins from the HIV envelope: gp41, and gp120/gp160.
•     Proteins from the core of the virus: p17, p24, p55
•     Enzymes that HIV uses in the process of infection: p31, p51, p66
In order for a person to be considered HIV positive, they generally need to have either antibodies against one of the envelope proteins and one of the core proteins, or against one of the enzymes.

So you can get a western blot test done.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up query.

Follow-up: Have taken duo HIV test, came negative. How accurate is this test? 25 hours later
As my result was negtive at 70 days what is the chance of it changing at the 3 month stage to postive.

Thanks

XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 13 hours later

Thanks for writing back to me.

Chances of duo HIV test coming positive after 90 days when it has come negative at 70 days with duo HIV test are very less likely. However it is better to get western blot done to be 100 % sure.