Have taken Z pack and coughed yellow mucus. Do I need a different antibiotic or just finish Z pack?

Question
Have taken Z pack for 8 days and coughed yellow thic mucus this morning. Do I need different antibiotic or just finish Z pack?
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 19 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

Coughing of yellow mucus indicates some infection in mucus which is normally clear. It is an indication that body is responding to infection.

You are already taking antibiotics since last 8 days; I do not see any reason to worry for you. Just complete the pack.

Along with this to get some more relief please try following measures which can also help.

>Take steam inhalation-either with plain water or any over the counter herbs like a few drops of eucalyptus oil etc.
>Drink plenty of fluids during the day.
>Take light diet and proper rest.

You should continue with routine medications that you are taking.

Please see your doctor in case you have fever, XXXXXXX colour mucus which indicates progress of infection and throat pain etc.

Normally in couple of days you should improve.

I hope this answers your query, please feel free to write again in case you have some more to ask.

Please accept the answer in case there is no further query.

dr.pragnesh