Have taken Nasonex for one week and have completely lost sense of taste and smell. Side effect?

Question
I have taken Nasonex for one week and have completely lost my sense of taste and smell
Posted Sat, 20 Jul 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 2 hours later
Hello XXXXX

I am a pulmonary doctor and prescribe Nasonex quite frequently. One of the side effects of all nasal steroid sprays is the loss of the sense of taste and smell. So this could definately be the case.

However, this is only transient and will go away once you stop taking the medication. You should let your prescribing physician know you have had this side effect so they can note that in your medical record and maybe they can prescribe something else.

I hope this has answered your question. Please let me know if I can help with anything else.

Follow-up: Have taken Nasonex for one week and have completely lost sense of taste and smell. Side effect? 20 hours later
I have stop the Nasonex - how long should it take for my sense of smell and taste to return?

Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 3 minutes later
I would say a few days to a week. Try using a saline nasal spray to help wash things out. If it doesn't return within a week I would suggest you to go see your GP.

Hope this helps.