Have tailbone pain, swelling and stiffness. Trouble walking. Want painkiller that is safe for kidneys

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Bad tailbone pain/coccydynia , please suggest a pain killer that is safe(very very safe) for kidney , as i have a solitory kidney.Thanks..Any urgent respnse will be highly appreciated because pain is getting severe.I have to work long hours sitting position , and its just worseining.
The pain is very very worse now , and the area is swollen and very stiff..I am having lot of trouble even in walking , even a fingr touch to that area gives me tears.
Posted Fri, 24 Aug 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 10 minutes later
Since the pain is severe, the best option of a pain killer would be an opioid analgesic like tramadol. You need to get it prescribed from your physician as it is not available over the counter. Meanwhile taking acetaminophen and a hot fomentation might provide you some relief.
Some severe cases with persistent coccydynia are treated with local cortisone injection and surgical resection of the coccyx.

You can also use a "doughnut" cushion or pillow to sit on. This cushion has a hole in the middle of it to prevent the tailbone from contacting the flat surface.
Also eat a high fiber diet foods to soften stools and avoid constipation.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Have tailbone pain, swelling and stiffness. Trouble walking. Want painkiller that is safe for kidneys 9 minutes later
Hi thanks a lot for your quick response.I have a folooup though..
Are tramadol and acetaminophen remove the swelling too , so that it doesnt keep relapsing?
And second , can you please clarify if these are safe on kidney , as you must have seen I am on solitory kidney and my nephrolgist has suggested me to be extremely careful befpre taaking and pain killers , rather she says not to take pain killers at all.

I have had this tail bone pain before as well , like once every 2-3 motnhs , it occurs , bu it subsides by itself in a week's time.This is the first time it has gone so acute..

Do u suggest i should try with the pain killers first before going for any injections ?

Also , how safe is that injection? and what is the cost in market?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 36 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
Both acetaminophen and tramadol are safe for your kidneys.
These are only for a temporary relief. Permanent treatment is surgery. Till then these episodes will recur from time to time.
Taking steroid injections are recommended if mild pain killers and hot fomentation do not help. The cost of injection varies with the place. You need to consult an orthopedician for the injection to be administered at the right place. Local steroid injections are safe and well tolerated.
Hope my answer is helpful. Further queries are welcome.
Wishing you a trouble free speedy recovery.