Have systemic lupus erythematosus. Experiencing twitching sensation on nose. Underlying cause?

Nov 2013

I am on my seventh straight day now of feeling an almost constant twitching or contracting on the left side of my nose. (It releases itself about 10 seconds out of every minute, but relaxes if I press on it or put heat on it).It is not the corner of my eye, but a little further down the nose. After googling, all I could come up with is fatigue and stress. I have made sure to get plenty of sleep since then, and am not experiencing any more stress than normal. Is there anything else that could possibly be causing this? Please note that I have take the Plaquenil or Predisone, so it is untreated, and I take no medicine except Lisinopril for high blood pressure.
Posted Thu, 21 Mar 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later

Thank you for posting your query.

As you mentioned, the most frequent reason for this kind of twitchings is fatigue and stress, and it usually subsides with rest & relaxation.

On very rare occasions, it could be due to an XXXXXXX problem in brain, especially the brainstem region, from where the nerves come to face, nose, and surrounding areas. Usually, it may be a small blood clot, which could occur in SLE. However, I should emphasise here that the chance of that is very less.

So, as of now, there is no need to worry. However, if the symptoms persist or if any worsening is noted, you may get an MRI scan of the brain done.

I hope it helps. I would be pleased to answer any further queries, if you have.

Wishing you good health,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist