Have syringomyelia. Getting headache, chronic pain on arms and legs. Suspected for MS. Any thoughts?

I have syringomyelia with a syrinx in C5-C6. I have had a VP Shunt placed and had laminoplasty (C5-C7) & duraplasty. I have chronic pain from nerve damage throughout my arms, legs, & back, along with severe headaches almost on a daily basis. MS has also been suggested as another diagnosis by my neurosurgeon & pain management doctor. I am beginning that process now.

My question is that I first notice very dominant shaking in my knees as I was walking down the stairs in my home. Then I sat down and put my legs out and found my knees are shaking a lot when I bend them back down. That is the only time they the downward motion. There is pain in my right knee (very bad at times & minute at others). It has made walking downstairs very difficult and makes me feel as I am going to fall. It seems different than clonus...more like some kind of tremor. I do have very hyper reflexes in my legs and arms. I will show it to my neuro on my next appt, but I wanted to see if anyone here has an answer. Also, my right arm is hurting VERY badly all the time now. My arm & hand (right) are getting weaker & weaker.
Posted Wed, 17 Apr 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 5 hours later

Climbing down the stairs involves more action in the anterior thigh muscles and tremors in the thigh muscles presents as tremors in the knee. Such a tremor initiated due to action of the muscles involved is called Intentional tremor. An intention tremor is usually perpendicular to the direction of movement. Intention tremor is the result of dysfunction of the cerebellum, particularly on the same side or sometimes bilateral.

Intentional tremor is a typical symptom seen in Syringomyelia in the cervical spine you have.

Do discuss about the same with your neurologist, who after examination can confirm the fact and plan on management.

Hope I answered your query.

Please let me know if there are any other concerns.