Have symptoms vertigo, nausea and loss of balance. CT scan showed no stroke damage, but stenosis of the carotid artery. Guide?

6 weeks ago I had a TIA but a CT scan did not show any stroke damage. Symptoms were vertigo, nausea and loss of balance. Subsequent CT scan shows 50% stenosis of the carotid artery.
Vertigo and nausea passed after 48 hours, but lightheadedness has persisted. Also experiencing increase in tinnitus.
Is the dizziness caused by lack of blood to the brain, and would stenting be appropriate?
Posted Sat, 10 Aug 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Pratap Sanchetee 3 hours later

I have seen the details provided by you. Symptoms like vertigo, nausea and imbalance can be due to TIA (less blood supply to vestibular system which controls balance). However, more common cause will be changes in vestibular system associated with aging or some unidentified degeneration or infection. Have a checkup with your neurologist and he will decide about blood profile for risk factors for TIA, ENT check up and Angiography of brain vessels. Carotid stenosis by itself is unlikely to result in these symptoms.

At present your doctor can consider antiplatelet drugs and risk factor modification.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications.