Have symptoms of pregnancy. Urinary test showed insignificant growth. What does this mean?

Question
Hi, I'm 22yrs, I have recently been having symptoms of pregnancy and i went to my doctor and did a urinary test (MIBI) and the results came back showing that i have an insignificant growth, i am not sure what this means .... Can you please explain to me what this is?
Posted Thu, 31 May 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 11 minutes later

Unfortunately I could not find any reports attached with this query. Can you please explain the urinary test which you had got done? If it was a complete urine examination or urine culture then the doctor might have suspected that you are having UTI (growth means that it may be a mild UTI and is not severe. Drinking plenty of water will help in tackling mild UTI.

It will also be very helpful for me in understanding your condition better if you could answer some of these questions:

1)     When was your last menstrual period?

2)     Did you have any unprotected intercourse close to ovulation?

3)     Are you taking any form of birth control?

4)     What symptoms are you having?

The first appearance of pregnancy hormone, HCG, due to implantation occurs 6-12 days after ovulation. If a woman is pregnant, the amount of hCG in her system should be around 25 mIU at 10 dpo (days past ovulation), 50 mIU at 12 dpo, 100 mIU at around two weeks dpo. Blood tests can determine pregnancy as low as between 5 to 10 mIU/Hcg but this is not true for urine for pregnancy test.

If you have had unprotected sex and having pregnancy like symptoms, I suggest you to get a serum pregnancy test done or wait for your periods and do the repeat urine for pregnancy test after 1 week of your missed periods.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Wishing you good health and waiting for your reply.

Follow-up: Have symptoms of pregnancy. Urinary test showed insignificant growth. What does this mean? 12 minutes later
My Last menstrual cycle was the third week of last month.

Yes, I have had unprotected sex during the time mentioned.

No I do not take Birth Control.

My symptoms are:
Nausea
the feeling to throw up
tender nipples
heartburn
frequent headaches
feel movements in my abdomen
slight pains in my abdomen
cravings
breast feel heavier than normal

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 8 minutes later

Thanks for writing back to me.

If your last menstrual cycles was in the third week of last month and you have been having unprotected intercourse, then pregnancy is quite likely. The symptoms that you are having are frequent early pregnancy symptoms and hence you should check the status of your pregnancy.

Most home pregnancy tests that check urine beta-HCG are sensitive to 20-25 mIU/ml of HCG. The test can be positive anywhere from about 2-3 days prior to a missed menses to 4-5 days after, but usually it should be done 7-10 days past your missed period. Use a morning sample of urine and two lines means a positive test. To confirm the status of your pregnancy, you can even get a serum HCG test done which is more specific than a urine test and can detect pregnancy even before missing a period.

Insignificant growth in urine test points towards growth of bacteria and is not mentioning anything about pregnancy. If you are having any burning micturition or pain during micturition then UTI can be thought of.