Have symptoms of motion sickness and vertigo. Prescribed meclizine for motion sickness. Advise?

ENT Specialist
For the second summer I am having symptoms that either relate to motion sickness of vertigo. Last summer in July I saw a Doctor and was told it may be an inner ear virus. I was prescribed Meclizine for the motion sickness and eventually it went away. Recently in May the symptoms returned.

Is there such a thing as seasonal motion sickness? Is there a good chance this could be a sign of something more serious or life threatening? If so what? The symptoms do seem to be motion activated. They are not constant, sometimes I go through a good chunk of the day without them, However if I turn around too quickly at work, or I nod my head up and down it can make it happen. It also can happen if I am sitting and then stand up. I do not currently have medical insurance. Is this something I should be addressing immediately or should I simply wait it out?

Any Guidance/Advise as to what is going on?
Posted Wed, 3 Jul 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 52 minutes later

Thanks for posting the query

After going through the description, I do feel, you could be suffering from either of the two conditions such as Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo (BPPV) or Cervical vertigo.

Both of these conditions present with similar symptoms and the diagnosis can be made through a simple office test known as Hallpike's maneuver. And if the condition is diagnosed as BPPV a simple correction procedure can be performed straight away in the office, known as Epley's maneuver. For the cervical vertigo, neck strengthening exercises will suffice.

There is no entity called seasonal motion sickness. Also you need to reduce the amount of smoking, as this plays a major role in causing dizziness by reducing the amount of oxygen supplied to the brain.

I usually prescribe tablet betahistine for my patients for a week followed by office procedures. Meanwhile, you can try the same medication and follow vestibular rehabilitation exercises as mentioned in the below link.
WWW.WWWW.WW au/etg_demo/phone/etg34-cawthorne-cooksey.pdf
Hope I have answered your queries; I will be available for the follow up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon