Have symptoms of flu, blood stains while sneezing. What could be the reason?

hi, this is XXXXXXX . i have been experiencing flu like symptoms from the past 1 week and ther is slight discharge of blood stains in the flu discharge when i sneeze.. i wanted to know if this is cause of the infection or is it a symptom for HIV/AIDS..?
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 40 minutes later

Please relax, why you are thinking of HIV in seasonal illness? Why so much worried?

Particularly in this season this kind of cough and cold are very common.

When you have cold and cough there is redness and congestion inside your nose and throat. When you sneeze due to force there are chances of this kind or blood stained discharge.

I do not think there is any reason to think about HIV/AIDS.

Please visit your primary care physician and get your self examined and treated. With treatment you will be fine.

I hope this answers your query, I will be glad to reply any follow up query that you have.

In case you do not have any further query, please accept the answer.

Follow-up: Have symptoms of flu, blood stains while sneezing. What could be the reason? 5 hours later
respective doctor,
thanks for the reply.. i was worried about an HIV/AIDS infection cause i have had unsafe sex earlier at two different occasions.. if so could you please tell me the symptoms of HIV/AIDS for an infected person.. i am kind of really worried..
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 20 minutes later

Good to hear from you again.

First of all please do not do this mistake again and never ever have unprotected sex with any body, unless he is your married partner.

Symptoms of HIV/AIDS vary very widely with person to person. The common ones are

1. Unexplained fever for long time
2. Some local ulceration or infection in private parts which is not healing
3. Some opportunistic infections like fungal infection in mouth, tuberculosis in some uncommon part of lungs etc.
4. Unexplained weight loss, weakness

This all depends upon the level of exposure and time after exposure.

Again the chance of getting HIV depends upon whether your partner was carrying infection or not.

As advised please visit your reason to worry. Please discuss this with your doctor as per need.

In case you are very much worried you can get tested for this by advise from your doctor.

Again same advise I would like emphasis again that please avoid unprotected sex with any partner.

Wishing you great health.