Have symptoms of UTI and leukocytes in urine. Have no nitrates in urine. What could it be?

I have the symptoms of a UTI and leukocytes in urine. That said, I have no nitrates in my urine and a normal pH level. What could this be? STI?
Posted Sun, 11 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Venkat Sivayogi 1 hour later

Welcome to XXXXXXX

As per the given clinical data, if you have symptoms of UTI like burning micturition, increased frequency, on and off fevers with urine analysis report showing pus cells more than 5 , you should think about UTI.

Urinary nitrites may or may not present in UTI, because only nitrites producing bacteria may show this.

If you dont have any exposure or sex with unknown , you need not to worry about STD.

So I suggest you to consult a urologist get treated.
If you have any further doubts get back to me with your reports.

Follow-up: Have symptoms of UTI and leukocytes in urine. Have no nitrates in urine. What could it be? 5 hours later
I do indeed have exposure and sex with unknown. He says he's clean. I probably trust that he's clean. Bacterial STD would show an increased pH level, wouldn't it?
Answered by Dr. Venkat Sivayogi 12 hours later
welcome back,

To diagnose whether it is UTI or STD,we should rely upon mainly patient symptoms and clinical examination. Lab tests are only to support your diagnosis. So just by urinary pH we can judge that you have acquired STD.

I better suggest you to consult your Physician and get clarified on this issue.