Have symptoms of IBS. Getting feeling of gas from the vagina. Vaginal swab negative. Any thoughts?

May 2013
hi, in the last 2 months roughly i have had ibs-like symptoms, which i think are a development from interstitial cystitis (i had 2 bacterial cystitis infections in a row prior to these symptoms, and i've gone through the same cycle a couple of years back). i also had some unprotected sex, for which i had std tests done - swab, and blood and they've come back clear. as i've mostly been sticking to the ic diet and also avoiding histamine producing foods, i haven't really had much pain/discomfort, just lower abdominal bloating/swelling, and sometimes feels like some of my uro-genital? tubes are tight?. i also do a lot of yoga and visited an acupuncturist a few times. what's worrying though is i have been expelling small amounts of air from my vagina. sometimes when i urinate, sometimes when i expel gas or whenever. i thought this stopped for a week about 3 weeks ago, then i had sex again and has come back. not sure if related. i've had a renal ultrasound where the person doing the scan said he could not see anything unusual in my bladder/kidneys. i may take the results to a urologist in 3 weeks time (i'm off on holidays for a couple of weeks - bad timing), but wondering if i should see a gynaecologist instead? a fistula seems to be the most obvious answer, but shouldn't i be in more pain, or shouldn't my urine test positive for e coli if this is the case? since this started i have done a couple of home urine tests which came out positive for white blood cells but negative fr nitrites. or could i have pelvic inflammatory disease of some sort, missed in all the testing i did, in which case i should see a gyno? incidentally i have developed a sore throat and slight fever in the last 2 days but i seem to be on the mend. thoughts please?
Posted Sun, 12 May 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 20 hours later

The possible causes for your feeling of gas from the vagina are:
-Lax vaginal walls and/or perineum
-Decreased space between vagina and anus, this can happen due to episiotomy etc.
-Infection by gas producing organisms like tetanus. But as your vaginal swab came negative, this possibility is less.

The possibility of having fistula is less as in case of fistula along with air there could be passage of some fecal matter or urine.
So you once consult gynecologist and go for physical examination to find out the exact cause of your problem.
If laxity is found to be the cause you may need kegel's exercises. In case of excessive laxity perineorrhaphy is indicated.
For fever and sore throat you can take antibiotics and anti-pyretics with the doctor's advice.
Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.