Have swollen tonsil, tightness in throat and pressure around eyes. Could it be throat cancer?

Critical Care Specialist
my right tonsil is swollen and i have tightness in my throat, i have been smoking full time for about five years, and used to be bullimic, my throat does not hurt, but I have a feeling of pressure around my ears, and in my throat. Is this an indication of throat cancer?
Posted Thu, 15 Nov 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sadiq Mughal 2 hours later
Hi, thanks for your question.

First of let me inform you that your 20 years old and most of cancer don't occur in this age group.
Your right tonsil is swollen and you have tightness in your throat and your feeling pressure around your ears.

You have tonsillitis that is infection of the tonsil, resulting in inflammation and enlargement enlarged your tonsil.

The enlarged tonsil is pressing upon you Eustachian tube (tube which connect your pharynx with your ears) causing symptoms in your ear.

Tonsillitis is invariably associated with some degree of pharyngitis which is giving you tightness in throat

Consult your physician, who will put you on course of antibiotic, antihistaminics and analgesic anti inflammatory drugs

Hopefully you will be fine in a week time.

If your symptoms don't regress after a week on antibiotic, consult ENT surgeon.

Hope I answered your question. For any more queries, do post your follow up. I will be readily available to answer.

Get well soon.