Have swollen tonsil and red throat. Diagnosed with viral infection. Concerned

ENT Specialist
Question
I have had swollen tonsils and a red throat for almost 4 weeks now. No pain though. But the discomfort does seem to flair up during the day and it seems to settle down quite a bit when I'm home in the evening and when I'm sleeping. When I wake up in the morning my tonsils feel great. Still swollen but No discomfort at all. My family doctor said it was viral but this was 3 weeks ago. I'm really scared
Posted Tue, 16 Apr 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 15 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

1. Your sore throat seems to be mild inflammation due to due to a Post Nasal Drip (PND) that worsens during the day.

2. The most likely sinuses responsible for this pattern (worsens during the day and fine at night/ in the morning) will be the Frontal Sinuses.

3. Get an X-ray PNS (Para Nasal Sinuses) done. Meanwhile take regular steam inhalation and request your doctor to prescribe an anti-allergic decongestant. A medicated oral rinse will help.

4. Since you have a history of a recent viral, there is no cause for worry. This should settle down soon.

I hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.

Follow-up: Have swollen tonsil and red throat. Diagnosed with viral infection. Concerned 22 minutes later
I look in my throat and there's a white very sticky mucous that is clinging to the back of my throat. But having said about nasal drip. I have been constantly needing to clear mucous and phlegm from my throat for like a year now. I just assumed it was from smoking. Could this sinus drip I'm having cause me to have headaches? And what else may I feel just so I'm not so worried.I have a bad phobia of needles to the point where if I think about getting one I will pass out,It makes my doctor visits very hard. So anything to ease my mind will help

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 14 hours later

Thank you for writing back.

1. There is no cause for worry. A Post Nasal Drip is usually due to Sinusitis. \

2. First get the sinus X-rays or a plain CT PNS (Para Nasal Sinus) Scan (no injections) done.

3. Meanwhile request your physician to start a trial with an anti-histamine, anti-leukotriene, a steroid nasal spray, regular steam inhalation an a medicated gargle for at least 15 days.

4. If the symptoms disappear, and the X-rays or CT Scan is clear, no operative treatment is required.

5. Stopping smoking will definitely help.

Regards.

Follow-up: Have swollen tonsil and red throat. Diagnosed with viral infection. Concerned 2 hours later
Thank you very much for your help it will be a couple days before I get to see my family doctor is there something I can take from the drug store to help out until I can get something prescribed?

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 11 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

1. It would be better for you to get a prescription from a physician.

2. Plain steam inhalation should suffice for the next two days.

Regards.

Follow-up: Have swollen tonsil and red throat. Diagnosed with viral infection. Concerned 4 days later
Hi there I apologize for so many questions but I have another one. I have been using a neti pot for a couple days now and my throat is still red but the discomfort can swelling is starting to subside quite a bit. Should I keep using this and for How long.I go see my physician on the 3rd of April due to there so booked up. Could I use the nasal spray you recommended with the neti pot? I hope there's Nothing seriously wrong with me I'm so worried I can barely eat or sleep

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 3 hours later

Thank you for writing back.

1. You may safely use the neti pot along with the nasal spray.

2. There is no restriction on the frequency or duration of use. Try and use isotonic 0.9% saline solution.

I must emphasize that this is a common treatable problem and not a cause for worry.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.