Have swollen throat and feels like a lump is stuck there. Not cured by protium. Looking for cure

General Surgeon
Swollen throat that feels like a lump is stuck there, Also feels like acid in my throat but not my stomach, taken protium but no relief, my doc not open til monday .
Posted Fri, 30 Nov 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 1 hour later

Thank you for the query.

Swollen throat can be caused by viral infection of the throat (most common), bacterial infection and irritation (by acid reflux for example). If the infection is bacterial the fever appears and the adenoids are enlarged with whitish surface.
If the infection is viral the fever is high, the adenoids are red but not much enlarged and no whitish surface. Caught can appear.
If it is only irritation, no fever appears.
Viral infection needs no treatment other than vitamin C. Bacterial infection needs antibiotics.
If you feel also acid in your throat, it can be an irritation due to acid reflux. If so, protium might be helpful but not necessarily. Moreover it takes few hours for the effect. In some cases Omeprasole 40 mg might be more effective fro acid reflux.
If such symptoms wont go away, upper GI endoscopy might be necessary.
To ease acid feeling you should drink more water, prevent coffee, chocolate, fatty foods and soft drinks.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.