Have swollen tender lymph nodes, sore throat and painful spot on roof of mouth. What could this be?

I have swollen tender lymph nodes, sore throat, and a painful spot on the roof of my mouth that is now white. I am generally fatigued and feel terrible but I do not have a fever. What could this be? Also have had night sweats the last 2 nights.
Previously had swollen lymph nodes only on left side and treated with antibiotics. Day after completing antiobiotics, this began.
Posted Tue, 13 Nov 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Kulbir Singh 3 hours later
Hello and thanks for posting the query
Tender and enlarged lymph nodes can be due to:
1. Infection or inflammation: The infection may be viral like common cold and bacterial like tubercular. Antibiotic are prescribed in this type of infection. But inflammation can be prolonged can take few days to recover after the course of antibiotic.
2. Malignancy: 10% of the swelling is malignant and have nearly no symptoms.
3. Immune disorder

As you have taken a course of antibiotic and now has no fever. But you have general fatigue and night sweats for 2 days. You should immediately consult your doctor and find out the cause of the disease. Keep in touch of your treating doctor and if needed go for certain investigations like scan to rule out the cause.

Sore throat can be due to the inflammation or infection or GERD. Follow some steps to get cured:
1. Do regular gargles with lukewarm water. Betadine gargles also help but consult your doctor before using this.
2. Avoid all type of cold drinks and oily food products.
3. Can take anti-inflammatory drugs like Ibuprofen to reduce the swelling and pain.
4. Rinse your mouth properly after every meal.
5. You may need another course of antibiotic drugs depending upon the cause.

Hope all this helps you. Write back if you have another query. I will be happy to answer them.
Best Wishes and have a speedy recovery.
Dr. Kulbir Singh