Have swollen stomach, gas, painful lower pelvic area. Had hysteroscopy, biopsy. Should I be worried or get medical attention?

I had a hysteroscopy and biopsy a week ago and I think I ate something bad like a sausage roll yesterday and I may have a touch of food poisoning. I ate the sausage roll at about 10pm last night. I woke up at 6am. My stomach is swollen and I have a bit of gas. I feel slightly hot. I don't feel pain in the lower pelvic area. I am not vomiting at all. It is not very nasty but it just feels uncomfortable that I have a bit of a bug. I am on holiday in the UK and am far away from my doctor. Should I get some anti-biotics and should I go to hospital. I had pains after the hysteroscopy but they only lasted about 2 days and now a week later I feel that I have a bit of food poisoning. Should I be worried about MRSA?
Posted Tue, 19 Jun 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Sairajesh Koonamsetty 4 hours later

Relax. You need not worry. You are unlikely to have Methicillin Resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA). Because the food poisoning due to sausage roll consumption is mostly due to Bacillus cereus or salmonella. MRSA strain is a rare cause here.

Based on the information provided, you are likely to be suffering from mild gastritis.

Using a proton pump inhibitor like losec 20mg (omeprazole - which is available over the counter) once a day before food in combination with a prokinetic agent (domperidone) should work for you. As the problem is not severe, you don't require any antibiotics at this stage.

Meanwhile try to avoid spicy and high fat diet. Take soft and bland diet. Avoid cabbage, broccoli and potatoes and beans for a while (as these cause flatulence). Take plenty of oral fluids.
You should be relieved within 2-3 days.

If you don't get any relief in 3 days or if you experience any vomiting or any abnormal bowel movements or pain, then antibiotics (preferably a combination of fluoroquinolone and ornidazole) therapy can be started. This antibiotic can be started after a visit to a nearby hospital / doctor.

One more thing, please do not take sausage rolls unless you are sure that they are fresh (especially at night)

Hope you got the solution you were looking for. Should you have any other doubts, please feel free to post your query, I shall be glad to help you further.

Wish you a speedy recovery and take care.

Follow-up: Have swollen stomach, gas, painful lower pelvic area. Had hysteroscopy, biopsy. Should I be worried or get medical attention? 21 hours later
Thanks, this has been really helpful.
Answered by Dr. Sairajesh Koonamsetty 3 minutes later

Thanks for writing back.

You may ask me a query directly in future, if you wish, at this link WWW.WWWW.WW
You are most welcome.

It's my pleasure to help you.