Have swollen penis with puss formed on left of penis head. Never had sex. Underlying cause?

Dermatologist
Question
I have a swollen pennis with puss formed on left of my pennis head. I did not have any sex till now. Can you help ?
Posted Tue, 23 Jul 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 56 minutes later
Hi

From your description, it looks like you have developed a pyogenic lesion over your penis.

Since you do not give any history of any sexual exposure, so it surely rules out all the sexually transmitted diseases. I can assure you of one thing that such a presentation with a history of sexual exposure surely means something alarming.

So what we are dealing with in your case is possibly a bacterial infection.

Such infections are mostly seen in diabetics and immunocompromised people although these can also occur in normal people . The reasons can be varied, ranging from hot weather and increased sweating, application of any oils or moisturising creams over the genitals or even long term collections of smegma or penile discharge which gets infected over time or even application of topical steroids.

Now what you need to do first is to ensure that you keep the affected area clean and dry.
You should clean it with a mild antiseptic solution which should be diluted with water before applying it on the genitals or you can even use lukewarm saline water for the same.

Next yon need to apply a topical antibiotic cream over the affected area.

You can in addition take oral NSAIDs or painkillers to relieve the associated pain and they will also help in reducing the swelling.

In severe cases, sometimes, oral antibiotics also have to be given to cure the infection. In that case , you will have to see a local dermatologist for proper examination and treatment.

Wear cotton undergarments in order to reduce the sweating.

Hope it helps,

If you have any other query, please let me know.

Dr Geetika Paul.

Follow-up: Have swollen penis with puss formed on left of penis head. Never had sex. Underlying cause? 1 hour later
Thanks for answering.

Since i don't have insurance and travelling to india in next couple of days ,can i wait to begin any kind of treatment ?

Please suggest any specific antiboitic/cream that can reduce my swelling and puss.

Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 10 minutes later
Hi

See if the lesion is not very painful and the swelling and the pus discharge are not much, then only topical treatment with an antibiotic cream containing mupirocin fusidic acid will help.

You can try for the above agents and use whichever is available there. Remember to take some painkillers along as they help in reducing the swelling.

But make sure that if even after using the above agents for 2 to 3 days, there is no improvement or there is increase in the lesion in the form of increased swelling , pain or pus discharge, then you might need a course of oral antibiotics.

Hope it helps,

Dr Geetika Paul.