Have swollen neck. No lump found. What could it be and required treatment?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
i have a area on the side of my neck (not my lymph nodes) that is swollen a little. I don't feel a lump or anything.. my dr. was not concerned when he looked at it.. Do you think I should be?
Posted Fri, 22 Feb 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 58 minutes later
A mild swelling on the side of the neck could be due to a thyroid swelling, or a soft tissue swelling due to an inflammation or lipoma or just a normal physiological variation. If there is no pain, change in color of overlying skin, hardness or change in the size of the swelling then there is nothing to worry. You can just ignore the swelling for now.
In case the swelling increases in size or there is pain or local lymph node swelling then an examination and investigations like FNAC is necessary for proper diagnosis.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.