Have swollen lymph node on neck, bump in back of head. Taking naproxen. Due to muscle strain?

About 1 month and a half ago, the right side of my neck was inflammated, as well as there was a bump in the back of my head in the left side. (one reason might be muscle strain due to weight lifting). In addition, I found a pea sized swollen lymph node in the right side of my neck. I covered my neck and kept it warm but I saw that the neck inflammation got worse. Finally, after 10 days, I visited a doctor who ordered a CBC test which came back normal and she put me on Naproxen, which has no impact on my neck. 5 days later the bump and inflammaitoin Surprisingly went away only after 15 minutes of neck exercises. but the the swollen lymph node in my neck has remained in my neck since that time. (when i turn my head to the left shoulder I can feel the lymph node). I wonder if that might be a muscle strain? if so is the swollen lymph node because of that? I would appreciate if you help me in this regard.

Posted Fri, 26 Apr 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Prasad Akole 52 minutes later
I am Dr. Prasad Akole (Critical care specialist) and would be glad to answer your query here.

Did the pain and bump in the back of the head appear immediately after weight lifting?
It could be a muscle sprain and pain if it was a diffuse bump and the pain was increasing on neck movements.

There could be an infection and inflammation on the right side of the neck which got the lymph node enlarged and painful.

Did you have any throat/ mouth infection at that time?
Are there many other lymph nodes enlarged?

Naproxen being an anti-inflammatory drug, would have taken care of the inflammation (pain, swelling) and you felt better with neck exercises relaxing any sprained muscle. The lymph node may take time to get smaller as inflammatory cells slowly decrease in the node.

I hope this answers your query precisely.
If you are satisfied with your experience here, I would request you to give a review rating to this answer before you accept and close this query.

Thanks and take care.
Follow-up: Have swollen lymph node on neck, bump in back of head. Taking naproxen. Due to muscle strain? 40 minutes later
Dear Dr. Akole,

Many thanks for your response. No, it didn't appear immediately. First, I was feeling mild pain at the back of my head so, I supposed It is a cold symptoms, but it lasted for a week and then led to the a bump and neck inflammation. I had a low grade fever and felt tiredness few days before the neck inflammation. I had no other symptoms such as sore throat and etc.

When the doctor examined the back of my head she asked me if I had a head injury and my answer was negative. she also examined left and right side of my abdomen for swollen lymph nodes but she couldn't find any things. thereafter she ordered a CBC and HIV test.

(I should mention that I had a protected sex 5 months ago. and after 4 months the HIV test was negative and the CBC came back normal. I am really tensed since that was my first sex experience. I am really afraid of getting serious illness)

That was surprising for me that the pain and inflammation lasted for two weeks were disappeared just in 15 minutes of neck exercise. However I still feel mild tenderness on the right side of my neck when I turn my head.

The swollen lymph nod in my neck is not painful itself. There are no other swollen lymph nodes. I sometimes feel mild ache in the groin area. I try to push up my groin area and armpit (with high pressure), I sometime feel very tiny nodules in those area.

Answered by Dr. Prasad Akole 10 hours later
I read your reply.
Lymph nodes enlarge from infections. Uncommonly, there is cancer.
If you feel some tenderness in the neck and the node persist, you have to try a course of basic antibiotic (as you had fever to start with) and see if the node reduces and pain /inflammation goes off.

A reactive node should go away with an antibiotic for 5-7 days. Discuss with your doctor this for a prescription.

Lymphadenopathy persisting after an antibiotic course needs more detailed evaluation.
Naproxen being an anti-inflammatory may reduce all manifestations of inflammation without tackling any causative infection with bugs.