Have swollen lymph node in neck and swollen lingual tonsils. Biopsy negative. Surgery required?

Dermatologist
Question
I have a 20mm lymphnode in my neck and swollen lingual tonsils. I've had blood work (came back "excellent"- according to doc), CT showed nothing unusual, but stated "check for lymphoma"...had needle biopsy with no neg report. Needle biopsy doc said the nodes around my hashimoto thyroid were swollen, but not very swollen. Now, doc wants to do surgery to take out a lymphnode. I have no other signs of lymphoma. Want to stay on acid reflux meds long enough to work. Wht is ur thought on this?
Posted Sun, 17 Feb 2013 in Lymphoma

Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 2 hours later
Hi dear, your treating doctor must be suspecting lymphoma strongly.
Although the needle biopsy has come negative, this is not the definitive diagnostic modality.

Taking a lymph node and doing histopathological study on it is the best way to diagnose.

I would suggest you to go with the surgery, it is always better to clear out doubts.

Regarding anti reflux medications, you must continue them, there are not many side effects of these medications.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you have more queries.

Thank you