Have swollen lymph node. CBC test done. Should I be worried?

Jan 2013

dear Dr. i have swollen lymph nodes and attached the report can you please tell me if they are some thing to worry about .

thanks alot
Posted Fri, 1 Mar 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 2 hours later
Welcome to XXXXXXX forum.

Do you have (or in past) some sort of infected focus (abscess or ulcer) on left side of face/ mouth/ scalp?
Do you have fever/ tender lymph nodes/ overlying redness on lymph nodes?

Let me explain your query one by one.
Your CBC report is absolutely normal.
All parameters including hemoglobin, WBC count, Differential leucocyte count (neutrophils 65.4%, lymphocytes 24.1% and monocytes 4.4%), MCH, MCHC, platelet count are in normal range.

Lymph nodes are draining by pass in our body in between blood vessels and heart.
Most of the blood supply to our organs by arteries are conducted to heart by means of veins.
Whatever blood and fluids comes out at capillary level (finest branch of blood vessels) is absorbed again and remaining is conducted via lymph vessels to heart by means of cystic duct and other lymphatic ducts.
Lymph nodes are actually collection of lymphocytes and acts as a bodyguard.
Any microorganisms getting entry in our body are engulfed by lymphocytes in lymph nodes and prevents them to go inside our circulatory system and other part of body.
Enlarged lymph nodes (if confined to a particular area as you have) also indicates some sort of infected focus which may be an abscess or an ulcer.

Now come to your ultrasound imaging report.
Ultrasound imaging report suggest normal spleen with enlarged lymph nodes in submandibular and cervical location.
These lymph nodes have preserved central echogenic hilum: that means there is no as such dead tissue inside the lymph nodes.
If an enlarged lymph nodes has dead (necrosed tissue in medical term) tissue in its center then it indicates some sort of pus formation (also indicative of infection).
Submandibular and cervical lymph nodes has draining area from oral cavity, face and scalp.

Generalized enlargement of lymph nodes may be seen in lymphoid tissue disorders such few viral infection (Epstein Bar virus, hepatitis, HIV), bacterial infection (tuberculosis, brucellosis), histoplasmosis and toxoplasmosis.
Generalized enlargement of lymph nodes may also be present in lymphoid malignancy (cancers), immunological systemic disorders.
All these disorders are associated with enlargement of lymph nodes in axilla (you have normal), groin and enlargement of spleen (you have normal size of spleen).
So possibility of generalized enlargement of lymph nodes appears to be least.

You should consult with XXXXXXX medicine specialist/ hematologist and should go for thorough check up.
If lymph nodes are tender, with overlying redness (indicating inflammed lymph nodes) then try to find the focus.
You should also go for Peripheral blood film, lymph nodes excision biopsy and thyroid profile (as isthmus of thyroid has small nodule).

Hope that helps.
Let me know your other queries.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava
Follow-up: Have swollen lymph node. CBC test done. Should I be worried? 2 days later
thank you doctor for your answe , actually i had unprotected sex 20 days before i made this scan for my lymph nodes .

could this be indication for HIV or it should be generalised in more than one spot ??

you see the report and tell me what do u think .
and yes i have dental problem ( broken teeth) for more than one year and abscess come and go in several times and didnt have treatment yet .

and also i used to have inflated Tonsils several times a year and i made sergury to remove them 1 and half year ago now .

following to my question , is the lymph swollen nodes could be HIV symptom or for the above mentioned reasons ??

Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 1 hour later
Although unprotected sex predispose for exposure to sexually transmitted disease such as hiv/253657?iL=true" >AIDS.
Acquiring of HIV virus doesn't mean full blown AIDS.
Generalize lymphadenopathy is a feature of AIDS.

I have already explained summary of posted report.
In my opinion, enlarged lymph nodes could be due to infected tooth or tonsils.
Removal of tonsils also predisposes to recurrent infection and may cause enlargement of lymph nodes.

Best regards,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava